- Took two weeks off for Christmas and New Years and it started decently but I'm on day 10 of a winter cold.
- Christmas dinner this year was hosted by a friend and was extremely vegetarian. Mushroom pie, potato pavé, couscous, hummus, fancy labneh, sous vide parsnips, and many other things. Extremely successful.
- Saw Star Wars IX. It's like, actually decent in terms of an entertaining thing to watch for a couple hours. Obviously, you can't think too hard about the details, because a lot of it doesn't make sense (Who built all those ships? Where did the staffing come from? Why did what's-his-face wait until she had all her powers to pick her up, rather than grab her while she was solo-running around junk yards?).
- Relatedly, I read a few extracts from The Princess Diarist which sort of puts a dreamy but sad reality check on the original movies. I hadn't really ever thought about how young Carrie Fisher was then.
- Did nothing for new year's eve (see previous note about cold) but it turns out that if you stand on the very top of our backyard deck shelf thing, you can see the SF fireworks all the way downtown.
- Apparently fireworks are actually super bad for the environment so we should probably stop doing them, generally.